Sunday, July 12, 2009

Night on the Suez Canal

I won't write much about last night because I'm too tired to.  Below are the press releases sent by the Viva Palestina leadership throughout the night, which cover the basic facts.  I look forward to sharing details when I'm back in the U.S.  For now I'll just say this: I am heartened beyond words to be present and in solidarity with this magnificent group of people on the convoy.  Yesterday and last night were a day and a night of learning about each other, talking politics, laughing, and working through a very challenging situation.  Through frustration, hunger, and exhaustion, we kept each other in good humor, and most importantly, kept each other focused.  Our goal is to break the siege of Gaza.  As we strategized together to resist the pressure to abandon our objective, and I looked out on the vast bridge that arches over the Suez Canal, I remembered the old Black freedom song, which, among other places, was sung on the marches across the bridge from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965:

"Ain't gonna let nobody turn me around..."

1 comment:

  1. DAMN STRAIGHT! You WILL break the siege! We are watching you from the US and ready to protest if they try to stop you!

    ReplyDelete