Thursday, July 9, 2009

Meet Maher.

Maher is a member of the Viva Palestina US convoy. An older man, his long, white beard frames his smile. He is a gentle man of quiet pride, and he cracks a lot of jokes. Maher is a one of the many Palestinians and the convoy, and he is from Gaza. We sat down in the lobby of our hotel in Cairo to talk about his life and the convoy.

I was just writing about the Palestinians who are on this convoy and the significance for you all. Just what it will mean when, after we cross the border like Kevin said, all of Gaza will come out to greet us.


Yes, all Gaza will come out to see us. They’re anxious to see us, but I don’t know about the first part.


You mean crossing the border.


Yes.


You’re not sure that we’ll get in.


I hope we do.


How do you feel about going home to Gaza?


My feeling is not about going home. My feeling has been about how [members of the convoy’s] reactions will be if we don’t cross the border. Then I’ve been thinking about how we will feel when they see the convoy cross in. I dread this moment. I will feel sad for the people [on the convoy]. Because when the people see the destruction and sorrow that the people have been going through, they will be devastated. This is not just something that will last for a moment. This will affect you for a lifetime. Your heart will turn to stone.


Where in Gaza are you from?


I’m from Gaza City.


You grew up there?


Yes. I grew up there ‘till 1984. I left the country then and came to the States.


Will you talk about what its been like during the siege?


The siege is nothing compared to the three weeks. I’m talking about the war. The siege...you get used to it. It's been going on since 1967. Things change by the day. You can’t get in, you can’t get out, etc. But the war was much worse. The past two years have been very hard. The Gazan people aren’t just looking for our material gifts like bread. They need to see us--they need our support.


What do you mean?


Most of the people in the Gaza Strip, they get used to the hardship. They are patient because they have a cause--their country. They’ll be patient because they’re willing to do everything for their freedom. You will see with your eyes when you get there. A family’s a family, a neighbor’s a neighbor. So if someone in your family needs help, people will help. Same with neighbor. So the money, that’s something they can deal with. They help each other. Yes, there is a shortage. There are things missing in the market. Now you don’t just have to by food, but water too. But they get by.


What did you mean when you say they need our support? How can we support them if not just materially?


You being there is the biggest support they’ve been looking for.


I remember reading this newspaper article during the bombing. A Gazan woman was quoted in the article, and she said that the whole world had abandoned Gaza. I was struck by the level of isolation she felt.


When the war started yes, they felt that way. They were left alone. But if you talk to the whole world--yes--if you talk to the governments, yes they were left alone. But if you talk to the people of the world, they were with the people of Gaza. The governments could have stopped it if they wanted to. But somehow Israel always can do whatever they want with international law. Even after the war ended there’s a lot of people who have been trying to go there, trying to document. To see what’s going on. To see what kind of weapons were used. They’ve been stopped. The international community, if they wanted to do something, they could have. But for some reason, they couldn’t do what they’re supposed to do.


May I ask what it was like for you during the bombing?


At that time I was in Dubai. At that time, no sleep. Believe me, no sleep. If I got two hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, that’s a lot. I called Gaza 20-30 times a day to see if people were okay. Between my family and my friends. By the way, I have my wife and kids in there.


Your wife and kids?


Yes. I’ve been trying to get them out. I’ve been calling the US embassy about getting them out this time.


Getting them out right now?


Yeah! Right now. I will try to get them out. If it doesn’t work, I have no choice but to call the US embassy in Tel Aviv, where there’s not much hope. During the war I emailed the embassy there, but no one responded.


May I ask why your family and kids went to Gaza?


My family and kids, we decided to send to Gaza to learn the language and culture. They stayed for three yeas. They were supposed to stay one year but things didn’t work out with me, and they stayed three.


How many children do you have?


I have five. The oldest one is 12, and the youngest is 3.


Is your wife from Gaza?


Yes--she’s a US citizen. She’s been living fifteen years in the US. And all my kids were American born.


So you have a family of US citizens but the US is not helping you.


(Sigh) For a reason they didn’t help.


What reason?


I don’t know. I said for a reason, but for what kind of reasons, I don’t know.


This will be your first time seeing your family in three years.


No, nine months.


How did you see your family nine months ago?


I crossed into Gaza when the border was demolished.


You were in Egypt at the time anyway?


No, I was in Dubai, found out about the border, and flew here to cross the border. I tried to get out again but I was stuck in Gaza for seven months.


What is your plan for when we go in to Gaza? Do you plan to stay?


I will just go in and go out with you.


Is there anything else you would like to say?


There’s a couple people [on the convoy] from Gaza. Everyone has a story for why they want to go. There’s one who needs to see his mom; she can die any minute. Another hasn’t seen his mom in seven years. She’s 89 years old. Another, he’s an old friend. He’s been trying to cross the border. He was there for three days. He couldn’t cross. His wife and kids are there. When he found out we were trying to cross he came here to cross with us. And here he is.

(As we are sitting and talking in the hotel lobby, a man walks over to us and greets Maher.)


Is there anything else you would like to say?


We hope the world will be fair and lift the siege of Gaza.

1 comment:

  1. Khury, great reporting as always. But I think the border breach he's talking about is the one from January 2008: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7204029.stm.

    ReplyDelete